3.21.2008

Every Apron Has a Story

Do you have a favorite apron? I do. It's the one my daughter-in-law Meghan made me for Christmas. It's cute and clever (she drafted her own pattern) with a wrap-a-round tie and top apron for hand-wiping. But most endearing is that she made it for me :).
Our Relief Society celebrated it's 166th birthday this month with an apron party.

Everyone wore an apron and shared its story. Diane wore a frilly white vintage-40's apron - one of many left to her by her mother. Wearing her mother's aprons brings back the feeling of being in her mother's loving home. Lulu's delicate apron, trimmed in 12 " deep cream-colored fillet lace, has been handed down through her family since the 1800's. Everyone recognized Joanne's bright red "Mrs. Friendly" apron. For years its many brightly patterned pockets held treats for the children she taught in Primary and elementary school. Sue wore this little one-layer gathered net thing (apron?) which was given to her by her first love. She wasn't sure about that apron and ended up not being sure about the guy. But she kept the apron (didn't keep the guy).

(Shaunne Hintze made these aprons for party decorations-amazing!)

What is it about aprons? The word evokes images of the 'olden days' for me - wonderfully nostalgic memories, but old memories. I envision my Grandma Passey, whose aprons were sewn from the same pattern for 97 years) and . . . .

. . . the 1950's pencil-drawn advertisements of beautiful homemakers, in crisp white organza aprons, stylishly holding up the latest household gadgets, and . . .

. . . filling my mother's ric rac trimmed gingham apron pockets with clothespins so I could hang the laundry.

The apron went out of style (along with so many other homemaking arts) in the 60's. I didn't receive any for my wedding. I actually remember the moment it dawned on me, in the late 1970's, that I could wear an apron in the kitchen to protect my clothes. I was pregnant and had gotten one more spot on my dress right where my tummy rubbed the counter. That was it, and by pregnancy's end putting on an apron in the kitchen had become second nature to me - like putting on my wedding rings or buckling up my seatbelt. I always felt a bit though like I'd gone back to the 'olden days'.

But it seems times are changing. There are aprons all over the internet. There are even apron blogs. I quipped to the gals at our apron party that "aprons are 'in'. I don't know if this generation is cooking, but they're definitely wearing aprons." Then I thought about all my daughters, who cook great meals, have family dinners together, sew, clean, craft, teach their children about the world, and often wear aprons. I'd say they're cookin'. My son Ty even joined Meghan and whipped up this darling apron for his sister-in-law last Christmas.

Yes, aprons are back and I'm hoping it's a sign that homemaking is coming back with them. One thing's for sure - these days when I put on an apron it makes me feel young.

3 comments:

ty and megs said...

cute post! what a fun idea for a rs party!

the mama monster said...

what a fun idea! i have been making alot of aprons lately. i plan on posting them on my crafty blog soon. i love that old fashioned is now cute and stylish.

aimee ferre said...

Becky I have a great apron story...I've got to find it for you. A family member sent it to me. My grandmother had her favorite apron and it reminded us all of her. I'll e-mail it tonight if I find it.