4.15.2008

"Do you cook breakfast?"

"Do you cook breakfast?" ----"Yes."

"Do you cook every meal?" ----"Yes."

Eric and I were guests for Sunday dinner at the home of a young couple. Carmen had made a wonderful Peruvian chicken curry over rice and potatoes that reminded me at once of the East Indian chicken curry Viji had taught me to make in Jordan. Both are dishes girls learn to make in the family kitchen helping mom get the evening meal on. I assumed, judging from the scrumptious dish we were finishing up and because she came from a culture of scratch cooking, that Carmen was a regular in the kitchen.

"I don't cook. Maybe only one or two nights a week." Her husband Alex sadly nodded in agreement. "How do you cook every day?"

The answer was simply, "Simply."

I believe in preparing and eating meals together as a family, at least breakfast and dinner.

(My kids and friends eating lunch)

Shirley R. Klein, associate professor in the College of Family Life at BYU said, "While modern conveniences have delivered us from some of the work of caring for a home, they have led to a decline in home life. We are tempted to disregard the value of everyday home activities like having family meals, and in the process we lose important opportunities for individual and family growth. . . Today, many find it easier to graze individually in their kitchens, dine from their cars, or go to the nearest restaurant for a quick meal rather than prepare a meal and sit down together as a family. . .What are we losing? Family meals have numerous beneficial effects. Evidence suggests that family meals help children have better nutrition, fewer psychological problems, and less risky or self-destructive behaviors. Family meals in a positive environment also play an important role in preventing unhealthy weight-control practices . . . The simple acts of creating a meal and enjoying it together help family members stay connected. The meal doesn’t have to be elaborate to create a time to connect and get a feeling for each person’s day. Outside distractions can be managed so that the emphasis is on passing food, talking, and interacting. Children learn to share family food instead of asking for individualized orders as they do in a restaurant. The regular family mealtime gives children a sense of security because they know what to expect . . . It is also a time to express gratitude to God in prayer for the meal and other blessings."

The meal doesn't have to be elaborate.

My favorite breakfast growing up was Cream of Wheat with milk and sugar (these days I use french vanilla coffee creamer), buttered toast and apricot nectar. I always needed two pieces of toast because Cream of Wheat is best eaten by using your toast as a spoon, dipping it in to get the butter flavor with every bite. (Don't you agree?)

The rest of Momma's breakfast repertoire was milk and toast with either oatmeal or scrambled eggs or pancakes or bottled fruit. Simple, nutritious and ready in about 5 minutes. When I got married I added a few items to Momma's basic breakfast menu, doctored some of the recipes up (ya know-added raisins and brown sugar to the oatmeal), but basically stayed with what I'd learned from her. That menu got me started and my mom's great example saw me through thirty one years of three meals a day, lovin' it.

Thanks, Momma, for teaching me how to stick with it.

p.s. The secret to easy, smooth Cream of Wheat is to use a wire whip to stir it continually (about a minute) as it thickens. Works every time.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Becky,
Thanks for the Cream of Wheat Tip! I can't always get it smooth. I have a blog too. I love to "invite" you. If you want an invite just get my email from Melynn and send me a note!
Hope all is well!

Anonymous said...

This is Jenny Sato by the way.